10/1/09

Fugue #157


A night on the town (montage)...

Ana describes Off-Broadway to Marbell. She went to see Enbal’s new piece. So what was it like? "Performance art, I guess, " says Ana. "It was just so weird."

Her voice gets softer and becomes Dina’s, forty years ago, describing the same place at a different time.

- It was just so weird.
- Yeah?
- Yeah...I mean, the play itself was ok as far as those things go. It wasn’t always clear what they wanted. Maybe some sort of post-modernist, Beckett-y thing - with abstract sets and costumes, and quixotic grammar? Or more of a mannerist thing - like Pinter uprooted from the Queen’s London and replanted in Queens, the accent and attitude modified to fit.
- That’s good, D.
- So they kind of threw in everything. It was a mess, of course, but there were a couple of nice moments. Anyway, afterwards, all they wanted to do was drink and smoke, and talk in loud voices about the method, and name drop Strassberg and all his people, and no thanks. I said good night and came home.

Ana, "I said good night and came home."

Marbell smiles.

"What?" she asks. "What?!"

No comments: