9/30/09

Fugue #113


The conflict of tradition and a new harsh positivism. Guidelines vs. shiny shiny rules.

Do you know how to be a family?

Do you know how to run a family?

No and no.

I didn’t think parenthood would be so difficult. I thought it would be tiring, and the boredom of the repetition - day after day after day - has surprised me some. But I was unprepared for the total lack of black-and-white answers. Sure, there are, or were, no-brainers: Don’t put small objects in your mouth or nose or ears. Don’t hit your brother with sticks. The old saw about running with scissors. Then you grew up, and now everything is is like so much gray.

You say and do things that perplex me. I always figured that I would be able to keep up with you, and what you’re interested in, but I can’t. G, I don’t understand your negativity, and P, I don’t understand your allegiance to your brother’s whims. I know I should be happy that you’re so close. And I am. But I’m also confused.

No comments: