11/7/08

Fugue # 38


"Do you remember? Something that you said once about traveling - well, driving - and listening to music? Music as part, a part, of the drive, or something. I think about that all the time. Movement through space, with music not - not like a song describing the movement or the space, not Bruce Springsteen or whatever - but music, as an integral part of the movement. And depending on the kind of movement, the kind of space, it becomes part of the story.

Think about a mix tape, or cd, I guess. It’s a genre; it’s got its own rules of reference - humor, camp, suggestivity. A threshold of me placing myself in your space, and your head hopefully, with my music. And so for road trips, the mix tape or cd isn’t just background or soundtrack. The music becomes part of the scene, it’s not just superimposed over it. Does that make any sense? Music does more than just set the mood for the trip, it is the trip, in some ways. That’s what I dig."

Ana nods, faux-knowingly.
- Music is the best.
- Totally.
- You have a lot of words in your mouth tonight.
- What?! I’m serious. This is interesting stuff.
- You’re loaded.
Paul, not sober, not sheepish.
- Yeah, a little.
- Do you want to drive to L.A. with me?
- Yes.

No comments: