1/16/08

Fugue # 0


In the coming days (and weeks, months, maybe even years) you will receive installments of a postcard novel. The front of each card will be a found image. The back of each card will be original text. The images will mediate the text, and vice versa, and the intersection of images and text will tell their own story and mine: the narrative I create, as well as the narrative I live. What I found, and how I responded to it; what I had to say, and what I sought to illustrate it.

Some time ago (pre-kids, pre-burbs, pre-9/11), I started a similar project that became a 300+ card series called Views of Mount Fuji. That series was sent to one person - my friend, MRH. He still has all of those cards, or at least the ones that the U.S. Postal Service delivered to him. The next series will be delivered to five people - MRH and four others. If you're holding a card and reading these words, you're obviously one of them. Your part in this project is simply to keep me apprized of any address change. I can't send you cards unless I know where you are. MRH will receive the original cards; the rest of you will receive black-and-white copies.

The cards will definitely not be sent in linear order. Characters will appear and disappear; events will happen and not happen (i.e. the time-line will be fluid). Sometimes this will be random - I'll get tired of certain things and find more traction elsewhere. Other times, it won’t be. I will try to send a single card every week, but I will also cluster them, sending an entire arc in a day or over a few days. The first card should go out this week and arrive early next week.

There will be some overlap between the former series and this new one - mostly for MRH's benefit - but the overlap won't affect the narrative. I mention that only to let you know that for some of the characters/events, there's greater depth than may appear here.

I have created a blog for this project, and I may eventually post the images/text. I will let you know how that develops. Oh, the working title of this series is Fugue. Enjoy.

Peace.

No comments: